Sunday, January 6, 2008

Define???

One of my friends during a discussion asked me...why do u always ask for definitions?
Here's the discussion:

Him : Are you single?
Me : What do you mean by single?
Him : Anyone who's available?
Me : Available for what?
Him : For lunch tomorrow?
Me : No, am not single.

A discussion with other friend:

Her: Are you free now?
Me : Free for what?
Her : ???
Me : ya, free to talk, free for lunch, free for movie....
Her : why do you think so much
Me : ???
Her : I mean, you are always quantifying things.
Me : ya, i like it.
Her : Ok, free for shopping.
Me : ya, lets go.
Her : I hate you.
Me : Am loving it.

So, I guess now its little clear that why do I ask for definitions. Human Beings are subjective by nature. What "A" thinks is always different than what "B" is thinking and interpreting. When one responds to certain messages, he/she should first know what the message/stimulus is all about. We don't think that ways and end up going round and round about issues.
The moral of story is : Clarity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ha ha , Happens a lot with me too, and the people around would just freak out . I guess the habit comes from the willingness to see everything in a simple, elegant and clear way. The desire to understand and to know.
P.S. I think the immediate response to the comment would be "to know what ? ", but I will leave it here

Shveta said...

hi Ojasvi...U r bang on point...n yes the "desire to know" is surely the point that I drive home...:)